5G Small Cells: 7 Promising Use Cases to Help Transform Enterprises
What are 5G Small Cells?
Small cell technology requires transmission systems that are low-powered and short-range and which can cover specific geographical areas or locations. It is an effective technology for high-speed data requirements. The technology carries infrastructure capable of conveniently handling high broadband speeds for all customers, IoT, and low-power devices.
Importance of Small Cell Technology for 5G
The foundation of how small cell technology functions closely resembles ordinary mobile networks. But its architecture uses developed methods like MIMO, beamforming, and transmission waves. Its build also makes it more convenient for low-power deployments. The infrastructure can be used in a network data center to help save costs and minimize complexities. The 5G small cell technology can also be mounted anywhere, such as in indoor establishments or lampposts, for better network availability. The 5G small cells technology also makes it efficient for enterprises to offer managed services to businesses in various industrial aspects, and provide efficient connectivity services for all types of requirements.
3 Major Forms of Small Cell Towers
- Femtocells include small network stations to provide the network to residential or enterprise units. They can conveniently offload any data congestion and boost buildings’ penetration for indoor requirements.
- Picocells include stations that are used for in-building or in-aircraft spaces. Picocells also benefit offices, shopping centers, and other large-scale areas requiring high data throughput.
- Microcells are used for specific areas and receive power through low-power stations. They are considered to be more effective than picocells and have the capability of covering extensive customer grounds.
Image credit: John Schnobrich via Unsplash
7 Promising Use Cases of 5G Small Cells
- Improving logistics: When the transfer of shipments takes place, a large amount of data is generated, which puts a load of stress on 4G and LTE networks. With the help of 5G, these limitations are eliminated, which means that the networks can be used with advanced technologies, allowing enterprises to expand their logistics services.
- Advancement in healthcare: 5G small cases technology has become clutch with healthcare services. It is changing how healthcare operations take place and making things more seamless. The technology can oversee patient health, and be used for automated robot-assisted surgery, diagnosing processes, and more. It improves reliability that may not be available with wired networks.
- Boosts manufacturing: 5G small cell technology can bring about higher flexibility, high capacity, and low latency for manufacturing needs as it can support any reconfiguration of automated processes. It further helps in meeting manufacturing targets at a quicker pace.
- Modernizing oil and fuel operations: With the deployment of 5G small cell technology, we can bring higher levels of modernization to remotely located oil and gas industries. It can conveniently handle high data loads, which can help automate processes and smoothen operations. Wired networks involve high costs for installation and logistics, which users can avoid by taking up 5G network services.
- Help government services: We keep hearing the term “smart cities” that allow people and buildings to be connected and everyone can function smoothly. 5G networks can help smooth city operations like redirection during heavy traffic, available parking areas, and more. It will help introduce a higher level of convenience for the public living and moving around the city.
- Personalize retail experiences: Retail stores or franchises often look for new means to attract new customers. 5G small cell technology can come into play to improve the process. The network connectivity can help combine digital and in-person experiences. For example, a furniture store can provide an AR experience that allows customers to view how something would look in their home before buying it. It can enhance the user’s shopping experience, while the retailer can gain more customers.
- Improve workforce performance: With the recent global pandemic, the need for remote work grew significantly. 5G small cell technology brings about better connectivity that helps improve work performance. It eliminates network stress, and interruption, thereby leading to an increase in efficiency. If remote work is the new normal, 5G networks are a must for smooth functioning.
With the advancement of enterprises in every field, the need for smoother and more efficient connectivity has significantly increased. With the introduction of 5G Small Cells technology, there is a more significant promise of improved network availability across all enterprise needs.
Author Bio – Sutapa Kumar is a creative content writer with work in the lines of blog writing, web content writing, and copywriting. She holds over a year and a half of experience in the creative industry and is passionate about learning the impacts of different creative works in the industry. She is also keen on graphic design with experimental results in poster and editorial design categories.
Did you enjoy this article?